|Child Abuse Facts|
1. San Diego's Child Abuse Hotline receives an approximately 40,000 calls each year. On average, 60% are assigned for investigation and 14% result in substantiated cases.
2. San Diego County’s child abuse incident rate is higher than the national average.
3. Nationwide, each day an average of four children die as a result of injuries suffered from child abuse or neglect.
4. About 5,000 children live in foster care each year in San Diego County.
5. Child abuse cuts across all socio-economic groups, races and religions
6. Without ongoing support, more than 40% of young adults who leave the foster care system at age 18 will become homeless, incarcerated or dependent on public assistance.
7. Many people who abuse or neglect their children are ordinary people whose stressors overwhelm their coping skills.
*Statistics gathered from San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency, Child Welfare Services
FROM JULY 2011 THROUGH JUNE 2012, CASA DE AMPARO SERVED: